Buru EnergyÂ Scholarship forÂ Women in Petroleum GeoscienceÂ * [F42768]
An asterisk (*) indicates that this scholarship is governed by conditions. This scholarship is governed by the University Policy on Establishment and Award of Scholarships except as set out in the conditions that follow.
Buru Energy Limited have donated the sum of $60,000 to The University of Western Australia (â€˜the University') to provide scholarships to support female students undertaking research and studies in petroleum geoscience.
The scholarships are established and administered in accordance with the following conditions.
1. The scholarship is called the Buru Energy Scholarship for Women in Petroleum Geoscience.
2. The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and assist female students to undertake research and studies in petroleum geoscience.
3. The scholarship is valued at $10,000 per annum.
Duration of award
4. The scholarship is tenable for the duration of the course for which the scholarship is awarded or the standard full-time equivalent if approval has been granted for part-time study on the grounds that there are exceptional circumstances which preclude full-time study.
5. The scholarship may be held concurrently with any other scholarship or award provided that this is permitted by the conditions of the concurrent scholarship or award.
6.(1) To be eligible to apply for a scholarship a student must beâ€”
(b) enrolled or eligible to enrol in eitherâ€”
(i) an honours course in geology; or
(ii) a masterâ€™s by thesis and coursework degree course in geoscience or petroleum geoscience; and
(c) undertaking research and studies in the field of petroleum geoscience.
(2) To be eligible to take up the scholarship the recipient must beâ€”
(a) enrolled full-time in the course for which the scholarship has been awarded to the recipient unless there are exceptional circumstances1 which preclude full-time enrolment; and
(b) commencing research and studies in the field of petroleum geoscience.
Body responsible for selection
7. The selection committee for the scholarship is the Scholarships Committee.
8. The scholarship is awarded to the applicant who best demonstrates academic achievement.
9. Selection of the recipient is made by the selection committee having regard to the applicantsâ€™ academic records.
10. The scholarship is awarded by the Scholarships Committee.
Method of payment
11.(1) The scholarship is paid in two equal instalments each year.
(2) One instalment is paid per semester on or after the census date.
(3) Continued payment of instalments for the scholarship is subject to the recipient meeting the criteria for continuation set out in 12.
Criteria for continuation
12. Continuation of the scholarship is subject to the recipientâ€”
(a) remaining enrolled in the course for which the scholarship has been awarded to the recipient;
(b) making satisfactory progress in accordance with the rules for the course in which the student is currently enrolled; and
(c) being enrolled as a full-time student unless approval has been granted for part-time enrolment on the grounds that there are exceptional circumstances which preclude full-time study.
13.(1) Applications are called for by the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office and must be submitted by the advertised closing date.
(2) For applicants who have undertaken study at a tertiary institution other than the University, written applications must be accompanied by a copy of the applicant's academic record from that institution.
14. The scholarship is administered by the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office.
15. Any thesis, dissertation or other publication resulting from research undertaken by the recipient while in receipt of the Buru Energy Scholarship for Women in Petroleum Geoscience must acknowledge the support of the scholarship and carry the University by-line.
16. Intellectual property is governed by the Universityâ€™s Intellectual Property policy available on the Universityâ€™s website at http://www.universitypolicies.uwa.edu.au/page/117132.