Warren Jones/UWA Postgraduate Research Scholarships * [F51454]
An asterisk (*) indicates that this scholarship is governed by conditions.
The Fremantle Hospital Medical Research Foundation and the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences at The University of Western Australia ('the University') provide a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Scholarship, called the Warren Jones/UWA Postgraduate Research Scholarship, for the purpose of encouraging high calibre students to undertake PhD research supervised and undertaken at Fremantle Hospital. The scholarship, which may be awarded as a full scholarship or as a supplementary scholarship to be held in conjunction with an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), a University Postgraduate Award (UPA) or equivalent postgraduate research scholarship recognised by the University, is established and awarded in accordance with the conditions governing the APA/UPA (http://spe.publishing.uwa.edu.au/page/61669) except as set out below.
Definitions and acronyms
For the purpose of these conditionsâ€”
APA means an Australian Postgraduate Award;
a primary award is an Australian Postgraduate Award or a University Postgraduate Award or another postgraduate research award recognised by the University;
a supplementary scholarship is a scholarship that is held in conjunction with a primary award such as an Australian Postgraduate Award or a University Postgraduate Award;
GRSO is the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office;
UPA is a University Postgraduate Award.
1. The scholarship is called the Warren Jones/UWA Postgraduate Research Scholarship.
2. The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and assist high calibre students to undertake PhD research supervised and undertaken at Fremantle Hospital.
Number and value
3.(1) The scholarship may be awarded as a full or supplementary scholarship.
(2) The type of scholarship, the number and value of the scholarship(s) are determined by the Scholarships Committee in consultation with the Fremantle Hospital Medical Research Foundation and the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences.
(3) The Foundation contributes up to $2000 per annum towards the cost of laboratory fees for the first three years and a further $1000 is provided where an extension of the scholarship for six months is granted.
(4) The Foundation provides up to $5000 towards the cost of travel undertaken by the student during the term of the scholarship for the purpose of presenting their findings.
4. To be eligible to apply for a scholarship applicants mustâ€” (a) be enrolled for a PhD under the supervision of a researcher based at Fremantle Hospital and be conducting research primarily at Fremantle Hospital, specialising in an area of medical research in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences at the University;
(b) be entitled to a maximum tenure of at least 12 months. The Warren Jones/UWA Postgraduate Research Scholarship is not available to students who, as a result of prior studies, would be entitled to scholarship tenure of less than 12 months; and
(c) not have previously applied for scholarships in more than one selection round. Applicants may only apply in a maximum of two selection rounds, after which they will be ineligible for reconsideration in any future scholarship rounds at UWA.
Body responsible for selection
5. The selection committee is the Scholarships Committee.
Selection criteria and process
6. The scholarship is awarded by the Scholarships Committee to the applicant who, of those eligible, is ranked highest by the Scholarship Committee.
7.(1) A full scholarship may be held concurrently with any other external or University award provided that this is permitted by the conditions of the concurrent award.
(2) A supplementary scholarship may be held concurrently with any other external or University award provided that this is permitted by the conditions of the concurrent scholarship or award.
Criteria for continuation
8. Continuation of the scholarship from year to year is subject to the recipientâ€”
(a) maintaining continuous enrolment at the University as a full-time student unless otherwise recommended by the Scholarships Committee and approved by the BGRS; and
(b) submitting a satisfactory Annual Progress Report to the BGRS.
9. The scholarship is administered by the GRSO.
10. A scholarship recipient must enrol by the date set by the University or the scholarship may be withdrawn and reallocated to another applicant.
11. Any thesis, dissertation or other publication resulting from research undertaken by the recipient while in receipt of the Warren Jones/UWA postgraduate Research Scholarship must acknowledge the support of the scholarship and carry the University by-line.
12. Intellectual property is governed by the University Policy on Intellectual Property.